DorisDollars

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to DorisDollars. My name is Kelsey and this is my blog. It will follow Doris Dollars, my fundraising program. I'm just getting started but I already have lots of ideas and things I'd like to try. My mom helped me to set up this website and I will update it as I go along. I will post about activities that I'm going to try and I'll always update you on how much money has been raised. I really hope that I will have success stories! I'll even try to add photos, if I have some.

I thought up Doris Dollars as a tribute to my Grandma, Doris (Golding) Hunt. She had a rare cancer of the salivary gland. She had lots of operations and radiation to try to help he
r get better. She lived with it for many years and fought really hard. She did everything the doctors told her to do. She passed away on November 25th, 2004. She was 63 years old. I miss her very much because she was such a big part of my life. My mom, sister and I lived with her for a few years and she always took very good care of us - until my mom had to start taking care of her. She never once complained about being sick, or being in pain, and she always wore a smile.

Doris Dollars will be my fundraiser to earn money for cancer research, one dollar at a time! My goal is to donate a total of $100,000 to The Canadian Cancer Society - no matter how long it takes! I know that is a very large sum but I was taught to always aim high if you hope to achieve big things. I think my Grandma deserves something big to honor everything she did for me and for others.


My first fundraiser will be a garage sale. It will be held in September, when my town lets families hold a yard sale. Many of my family members jumped right in with plenty of ideas and offers of donated items for me to sell. It is GREAT to know that so many people support me already and I'm just getting started! My garage sale probably won't be huge but all money raised will be donated.

If you would like to share your ideas for fundraisers or activities, feel free to comment to any post or you can send me email by clicking on the link in the righthand column of this blog.

Doris Dollars is new and just getting off the ground, but over time, who knows what I'll be able to accomplish?


Remember my new motto:

"You've got a chance to save lives. Go ahead. Go LOONIE!"

7 Comments:

  • Hi Kelsey. Just wanted to leave you a comment and tell you again that I'm really proud of you for what you are trying to do. More people should be as caring and thoughtful as you and maybe the world would be a better place.


    Love you
    Dee-Dee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/02/2006 3:28 PM  

  • Kelsey,dear,
    What a wonderful idea! A fine tribute to your beloved grandma. I think you are a real "go-getter" and have faith that you will accomplish your goal!
    Aunt Sue

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/03/2006 2:46 PM  

  • Kelsey, I'm sure your grandma would be proud of you! (as I am)

    Is there any way that donations made to the Canadian Cancer Society through your site could be made in such a way as to count toward your goal?

    Best of luck with the September yard sale and ALL of your future fundraisers!

    Your Kentucky Grandma,

    joyce

    By Blogger Joyce H., at 8/03/2006 9:48 PM  

  • Kelsey, I'm so glad to see you set such lofty goals for yourself. It may seem cliche to say that you can do anything to which you set your mind, but it really is the truth. Stay focused. Look forward. Light a fire and hold it up, so you can see but also so everyone else can see, too. Don't let anybody tell you that your goals are too big to achieve because NOTHING is too big. Remember: there is always a way. Ther is always a way!

    Aaron

    By Blogger I changed my name so it wouldn't be so nasty!, at 8/04/2006 5:24 PM  

  • Kelsey, this is really is such a wonderful idea. I don't know if you knew that my Granny died of cancer (lung) in 1984. I know how much the loss of your Grandma hurts, but you are keeping her so much alive with this great venture. Good luck with your yard sale in September.

    Sis

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/06/2006 5:01 PM  

  • Oops. I goofed and I couldn't figure out how to go back and fix it, but my Granny died in 1986 not 1984. I wanted to correct that before one of my fabulous brothers corrected it for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/06/2006 5:07 PM  

  • Kelsey,

    You'll one day be rewarded for your good deeds. I'm glad that people so young have such big hearts. I try to alway donate to the needy. It may be buying a homeless person a hot meal or clothes and toys for low income children. Thanks for helping make a difference.

    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy, at 8/10/2006 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home