DorisDollars

Monday, August 07, 2006

Updating you on a few things

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'd like to say thank you very much for your beautiful comments. It is really nice to know that I have so many people supporting me already. That makes me feel stronger and even more determined!

I would like to give you a quick update on a few things. After a great suggestion (thanks Granny!), I asked my mom to help me look into how I could get a referral link to the Canadian Cancer Society's website. That might not be the right name for it but what I am hoping is that, if someone clicks on their link from my site and makes a donation online, then I would somehow be notified and I could count that amount into my total DorisDollars. Raising $100,000 is going to be a big job and every bit will help! So last night, my mom emailed the CCS and asked some questions about all this and now we're waiting for an answer. When I know more, I'll post about it here for everyone to read.

I've also started collecting items for my garage sale - not from other people, yet, but I'm going through my own toys and games and "STUFF" first. Then, I am planning to get in touch with the friends and family who have offered to donate items of their own so I can arrange to pick them up or have them dropped off.

My mom, my sister and I are also thinking about craft projects that we can do together in order to raise funds but that's probably not going to happen until after the garage sale (unless we have enough time to make some before that!). I was also thinking of adding a coffee stand, just like my mom had at her garage sale. She gave the coffee away for free, when people stopped by, and I would too -- but if someone wanted to drop some spare change in a jar as a donation, they could do it at that table and take a coffee with them.

Anyway, these are just some of the things that are going on today! I hope you'll keep coming back and visiting my website and leaving comments and suggestions. I really enjoy reading them and I check every day!

xo

5 Comments:

  • Those are some very good ideas. I think that Joyce's idea about somehow crediting a donation directly to the CCS, or maybe even the ACS could count toward your goal is a good one. Did your mom ask them about that? If not, you could set up a Paypal account and receive donations directly, though you might have to somehow register with the government to do that.

    By Blogger Brinton, at 8/08/2006 7:19 AM  

  • Hi Kelsey,

    I'm a friend of Aaron's and wanted to congratulate you on your fine efforts. My mother is a cancer survivor, and I too hope that the money you raise can help find a cure!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/08/2006 7:53 AM  

  • Hey Kelsey,

    Coming from a complete stranger (well, not complete, I'm a good friend of Aaron) I really want you to know exactly how proud I am of you. I lost my grandmother to cancer a few years ago and to see someone take this kind of initiative is truly inspiring. We can all learn something from your determination, you're a truly special person.

    Thank you for making my day just a little better, I can't wait to see what the future holds for you.

    Cory Graham

    By Blogger Cory, at 8/08/2006 1:41 PM  

  • When you put up garage sale signs I would put up something like, "Charity Garage Sale" so that people will know that you're not raising money to buy the new PSP but the money is going to a good cause and they are more likely to buy your "stuff" leaving a good feeling in their heart.

    By Blogger Wendy, at 8/10/2006 8:01 AM  

  • Kelsey,

    You're something else...just an absolute inspiration!

    Tell you what, I vow to get the Kentucky crew together and see if we can raise some money for you. I'll keep you posted.

    You go, girl!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 8/13/2006 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home